Sunday, January 17, 2010

On the Razor's Edge Between Life and Death

From: stefanie fletcher <STEFLETCHER@earthlink.net>
Date: January 17, 2010 1:24:37 PM CST
To: xxxxxxx@united.com
Cc: xxxxxxx@united.com, "xxxxxxx@united.com>
Subject: Re: medical personnel into Port au Prince,
Hi Xxxxxx,

I touched base with Rosemary last night and wanted to touch base with you and Alissa too. I am a nurse traveling relief supplied and I wanted to make sure that you knew, although it would be ideal to travel with our supplies, it is not necessary. I have enough supplies, personal and medical (medicine, bandages, etc for 500 people) to be self sufficient for 5 days --- in two checked bags, which weigh about 150 pounds total.

I was not very clear about the delay in getting the medical personnel into the country -- even if the supplies are on another flight. I am sitting in a hotel in Chicago with supplies, medicine and life saving skills, while I watch people injured and dying wait for doctors and nurses. I understand there are doctors and nurses from South Africa here somewhere too. I apologize for not understanding the delay until Tuesday and could you please explain it to me? Are there other medical teams that you are transporting today or has there been government instructions that will not approve a flight plan?

Please forgive my ignorance of the situation and it isn't meant to be disrespectful. My request is heartfelt because I just received the latest U.N. video of the 11 year old girl, pulled from a building yesterday who died this morning because once they pulled her out, there was no place to take her and no medical personnel available immediately to treat her injuries. Her story is but one of too many -- people are being saved and then left without medical attention.

Again, thank you for your time and the efforts of United Airlines to work on this lifesaving and humanitarian mission.

With deep gratitude and humility,
Stefanie Fletcher Nieber, R.N.