Saturday, January 23, 2010

None, Ma'am

Friday began with me afraid I would be leaving because there was no way to get supplies. My own had not come and would not for another week because we were not privileged enough to get a landing slot. So I went to the airport to see if I could find anyone to let me work with them and hiked about four miles with full gear. Striking out, I hiked another mile to the UN command area to give report on my findings.

I reported to the shelter cluster (Bldg 60f) responsible for assessment management and coordination of displaced persons. After writing my report, the nice lady in the air conditioned building (who has probably not been out of the compound) said to me, “we need to know more specific details about where you were in each area. You know each area is really big.”

I had given her the neighborhood names – Delmas, Nazon, Peggyville, Peterville, and Bistou, with the approx. numbers of casualties, infections, and people displaced who needed assistance.

Then she asked if I could identify the areas which had received relief aid. Of course, standing there like a deer in the headlights, I politely and sadly replied, “none, ma’am.”

The nice lady in the air conditioned room thanked me and I’m sure my report was filed in a latrine somewhere.