Saturday, January 23, 2010

Creature Comforts

Also Friday night, in the restaurant there was this little brown dog, who had been somewhat cared for but was very thin. I have been avoiding dogs because of the rabies problem here, but she was clearly no threat, and had a collar with tags. Somewhere, some family had loved her.

She laid at my feet and I surrendered and petted her head. Then she slowly got up and just stood and looked at me with her head bowed a bit. I petted her some more and she jumped up on the ledge where I was sitting. She put her head in my lap. We sat for a while this way and then she eased her way into my lap and fell asleep. She had been well loved before the quake.

Then Steve came out of the restaurant and was yelling at me, very animated, that I was crazy, that this was a dirty street dog and I should get up right away. The dog and I both looked at him, probably with the same puzzled expressions on each of our faces. Steve realized we were happy right where we were and walked away, mildly frustrated, but amused.

Leaving her was not easy.