Monday, January 18, 2010

Nightpeace

It is very quiet right now, which is very unusual. I can hear dogs barking and children crying, and an airplane every now and again.

The most comforting sound right now is lying here while Steve and his cousin and his nephew, Jean, listened to this wonderful mixture of jazz and salsa, and now a French language radio program. I cannot follow the details, but for just a bit, things quietly feel almost normal. This tiny patch of comfort and normalcy is very sobering, knowing that just a few streets away, an entire family lies buried under the concrete of a home so like this one, with imagined lives so like those of our hosts.

I am so moved by Steve and his family opening their home to us. Steve's nephew, fifteen year-old Jean has kindly consented to help me pick up a bit of essential French. Younger than my own sons, but maturing so quickly, Jean is endlessly patient with my Tennessee-accented attempts at French, and ready with a kind and enchanting smile despite what surrounds us.

In the midst of all of this, I am free to sleep, humbly thankful for this kind and gentle welcome.