Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day Steam Bath

Our Haitian patients and their families were amused by our observance of Valentine's Day. but were quite happy with the candies and M&Ms I passed out to them in pill cups.  Just as well that I was able to do it.  "Lunch" came at 4 o'clock, with the news that there would (again) be no dinner.  We passed it out, telling all of the patients that this was dinner, and supplementing it with the staff's rations, which we donated to keep the patients nourished.

The staff, tired and mostly beaten down by the heat trudged the long way around to the U.N. restaurant.  Most of us were lucky enough to get back before the deluge.  I had used the term 'torrential downpour' many times.  Now I have been in one.  It rained more in seven minutes than I could ever have dreamt.  Even with the tent zipped, a bunch of my stuff was soaked.  I can only imagine what it is like for the hundreds of thousands living under tarps.

And don't think for a minute that it cooled things down. It didn't.  Just turned it into a sauna.