Sunday, February 14, 2010

Days in the Life

A V-Day Note to my friends and loved ones who have asked about some of the living conditions for us:

A major score this week -- someone sent some cotton sheets, and I now have sheets for my foam pad mattress, which is very cool, especially as I'm getting some kind of a rash, probably just due to the heat, which is still well over 90 every day.

We handwash our scrubs daily and have shower stalls enclosed by plywood.  The cold water showers are actually a great relief here, given the heat.

One of the docs who rotated in on Friday brought a cooler full of Subway sandwiches.   Must confess that I relished it.  Subway has never tasted so good.

One final, utterly surreal note:  Every traffic signal in Port-Au-Prince works perfectly.  They are all solar powered.  Completely dark streets.  No lights visible for miles except candles and occasional handhelds...but perfectly times, perfectly bright traffic lights.