Monday, February 15, 2010

Last night we were going to close the O.R. and reorganize it, to get better control of who walks through our sterile areas in the middle of abdominal surgery, which is what happened two nights ago.  Instead we operated through much of the evening, a steady diet of traffic accidents and a smattering of gunshot wounds and stabbings.

Now that the worst of the crisis has subsided, Haiti's Knife and Gun Club seems to have been reactivated.  Although it is no worse than I've seen in many U.S. cities, it is hard to see here, and hard to see now.

Last night's rain weakened some structures and a school wall collapsed this afternoon.  We received the news and readied the O.R. and cleared the Emergency Area.  And waited.  Four children died at the scene.  There was nothing for us to do but shudder.

We still don't have enough ICU nurses, so I am again getting up at 2 a.m. to relieve another R.N.  I tried to go to bed early enough to do this, but some of the new nurses think they're at camp, and are pretty fucking loud for 11:30 at night.  I can still hear them over my noise-cancelling headset.

But I am happier to whine about this than about no O2, no water to cleanse wounds, and no anesthesia.  I guess this will have to pass for normal tonight.