Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Night Lights


Dead tired, but writing is a great way to wind down as I crash. I worked 14 hours straight. I've gotten some kind of wretched infection that is draining into my upper lip. One of the docs gave me some Cipro and I seem to be responding. One of the plastic & reconstructive surgeons said he'd drain it tomorrow it if it still badly swollen. I think I'll be fine . . . it just hurts like hell and for a while it looked like I'd been in a fight. Doing much better than I was yesterday.

I am continuing to work with Medishare, which is slowly turning into a real hospital. There are now 300-400 of us, including health care pros, logistics people, techs, etc. We are getting a slow, steady stream of equipment. Hey! We even have O2. Alonzo Mourning (former Miami Heat NBA all-star) and Stuart Miller, a Miami construction magnate, have donated three huge, semi-rigid air conditioned tents. As they get on line, the patients are air conditioned, we're air conditioned. It really helps.

I've been bouncing back and forth between trauma (another gunshot wound) and Labor & Delivery. I did another birth (my fourth, her first, and the doctor's first!). The doc, Mike Sheehan, is an awesome trauma surgeon, but we all work out of our comfort zones here.

That's the mom, Christine. She and her husband John named her son David, after my youngest.




No comments:

Post a Comment